Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Edmond redux

Ok, So I am never satisfied...so what ?

While developing my frog book I just felt that something wasn't right with my previous design. He looked too old, too clunky. I wanted a character that was more approachable, maybe a little more energy, sweeter in the face. I tried my hand at it and I think this Edmond is a much better design and certainly a lot more user friendly. There is a vitality that the other design lacked...I immediately wanted to draw this character in different situations.

I also removed the dark brown line that I find too harsh for what I am trying to capture here. I often wonder if I use it too much and don't trust my ability to paint an image without the dependency of line.

Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts, comments or suggestions.


Patrick Costa said...

I'm going through the same thing in a way with my guy. Tough choice though, I like both Edmonds. This one definitely looks younger though and there is a nice warmth about him.

Vince M. said...

Wonderful vitality in this one, Peter. I've always felt like a prisoner of linework. But I don't think your line overpowers your rendering. Quite the opposite- I think it compliments it. Especially in this version.

Beautiful character design!

The Bear Maiden said...

I like him, too, very much.